vegan almond joy chocolate-coconut-almond scones
recipe under the cut!
makes 8 scones
for the scones:
- 2 ¼ cup pastry flour (or substitute all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Earth Balance coconut spread or other vegan margarine, frozen
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup almond, coconut or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp almond extract
- ½ to ¾ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- about ½ cup shredded coconut (to top)
for the glaze:
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix. add in margarine and cut into the dry ingredients with a knife or a dough cutter until it’s in pea-sized pieces.
2. add in the coconut oil, milk, and almond extract and work the dough until it just comes together. if necessary, add additional milk one tablespoon at a time.
3. add in the almonds and work the dough until they’re distributed evenly.
turn the dough out onto a clean surface and form a disc with it, then cut the disc into eight even pieces.
4. place the formed scones into the freezer for about half an hour (this is optional, but will give the scones a more flaky, tender texture).
5. bake the scones at 425F for 15-20 minutes, until hard to the touch. allow to cool.
6. mix the ingredients for the glaze. use half of the glaze to coat the tops of the scones, add shredded coconut, and then drizzle the rest of the glaze on top of the coconut. allow to set before serving.