taktouka (Moroccan cooked salad with green peppers, tomatoes, and spices)
recipe under the cut!
- 2 green bell peppers
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and crushed
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, diced
- 1 small bunch of parsley, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
1. char the skin of the peppers by roasting them on the burner of a gas or electric coil stove set to high, or on a grill, turning periodically with tongs or forks. if you don’t have a gas or electric coil stove or grill, you can roast the peppers in the upper third of an oven set to broil for 20 minutes, turning 4-5 times. all sides of the peppers should be black.
2. place the peppers in a covered pot, under an upside-down mixing bowl, or in a large zipped plastic bag for about 15 minutes to trap steam and make them easier to peel.
3. peel tomatoes by placing them in a covered bowl with just-boiled water for about a minute–this should make the skins easy to remove. seed and mince the peeled tomatoes.
4. remove the skin from the peppers, seed them, and mince them.
5. heat olive oil over medium heat until sizzling. add crushed garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. add minced tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken.
6. add peppers, parsley, and cilantro and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 15-20 minutes until the mixture is dry. if the pepper is not cooked, add a few tablespoons of water and continue to cook.
7. top the salad with green or Beldi olives, slices of preserved lemon rind, and/or parsley as desired.
taktouka is served hot or cold with khobz as an appetizer or side dish.