Chinese vegetable stir-fry with crispy noodles
recipe under the cut!
for the stir fry:
- 2 tbsp neutral frying oil (sesame, vegetable, canola)
- 1 8oz bag of chow mein noodles
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, slivered (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 2-4 carrots, sliced or julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
for the sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice
1. mix the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
(all ingredients should be kept at room temperature or colder: heat will cause the cornstarch to clump.)
2. coat noodles with 2 tbsp of oil in a large bowl.
3. heat a large pan, or a wok on a wok ring if you have a gas stove (otherwise the wok won’t get hot enough), over high heat. fry the noodles, stirring constantly, until light brown and crispy. set aside.
4. heat ¼ cup oil over high heat in your wok or pan. add garlic, ginger, and onion and fry, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
5. add broccoli and baby corn and continue frying for another minute.
6. add the carrots, mushrooms, snow peas, and yellow pepper and fry until the pepper begins to soften.
7. pour in the sauce and continue frying until the sauce thickens. add in bean sprouts and continue to cook for about a minute, until the sprouts are wilted.
8. pour vegetable and sauce mixture over the noodles and serve.