vegan fried rice with “chicken,” walnuts, and dried figs
recipe under the cut!
- 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into strips
- 1 bag Gardein chick’n strips
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup dried figs, stemmed and halved
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, or 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground mace
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
1. measure rice into a bowl and cover with cool water. agitate with your hands and pour the water out. repeat until the water is no longer clouded (this will get rid of excess starch on the rice). cook rice according to package directions and refrigerate for a few hours. (leftover rice from take-out will also work well.)
2. heat oil over medium heat in a large pan, or a wok if you have a wok ring and a gas stove (this is the only way the wok will get hot enough to fry rice).
3. add onions and cook for about thirty seconds until aromatic. add chick’n and spices and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chick’n is crispy.
4. add walnuts and figs and continue to cook until figs are soft and moist.
5. raise heat to high. add rice and fry for 3-4 minutes, adding more oil if needed. taste and adjust spices.