vegan herb qutabi (Azerbaijani stuffed flatbread)
recipe under the cut!
for the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- about ½ cup water
for the herb filling:
- ¼ cup fresh spinach
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup mint
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- ¼ cup green onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup Go Veggie grated
vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- vegan margarine
- about ½ cup melted vegan margarine
1. sift flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. add vegetable oil. gradually add water until all of the flour comes together in a soft dough–you may need more or less than ½ cup. knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
2. wash and dry the herbs, then roughly chop them. mix with (optional) cheese in a mixing bowl and season with salt.
3. divide dough into golf-ball-sized portions. using a rolling pin, roll one portion out into a circle–you can do this by placing your rolling pin in the center of the dough and pushing outward, repeating the motion as you move in a circle. the dough should be very thin but not transparent.
4. spread herb mixture on one half of the dough circle and optionally top with about a tablespoon of vegan margarine.
5. fold the remaining dough over the filling and close by pressing the dough together or by folding and crimping the dough like a Cornish pasty. repeat with the remaining portions of dough.
6. heat an ungreased pan over medium heat and cook qutabi on both sides until golden brown. brush each qutab with melted margarine before setting it aside.