tfaya (Moroccan caramelised onions with golden raisins)
recipe under the cut!
- 4 red onions (or white or yellow onions)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smen, butter, or vegan margarine
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup golden raisins, soaked in warm water for half an hour
1. slice onions thinly (by slicing width-wise & then halving each slice)
2. heat oil and butter over medium heat in a large pan. add onions and pepper, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and salt to taste and mix well.
3. add water and saffron, cover, and lower heat. cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden.
4. add (soaked, drained) raisins and sugar. partially cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes until dark and thick.
tfaya is commonly served warm over meat and couscous dishes & is here pictured served over vegetable couscous.