vegan chocolate ghriba (Moroccan cookies)
recipe under the cut!
- 1 cup (90g) almond flour
- ¾ cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (60g) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup (20g) cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (80g) vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
1. sift flours, sugar, and cocoa powder into a large bowl. add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. add margarine and vanilla and almond extracts. work dough for about five minutes until well combined.
3. form balls of dough about 2 inches in diameter, roll them in powdered sugar, and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then flatten them slightly with a spoon or your fingers.
4. bake at 340F (170C) for 8-10 minutes. they should still be soft when you take them out of the oven–they will continue to bake on the sheet!
you can also sub out 200g of melted dark chocolate for the cocoa powder for a richer cookie–just lower the amount of margarine used to 3 tbsp (50g).
ghriba should have a soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture and distinctive cracks in their surface.