Chinese sesame-ginger “beef” & broccoli
recipe under the cut!
for the beef & broccoli:
- 1 bag of Gardein beefless tips
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- a 2″ chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
- 2 tbsp neutral frying oil (sesame, vegetable, canola)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
for the marinade:
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
for the cornstarch slurry:
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce (optional)
1. thaw beefless tips by placing the bag in a large bowl full of warm water.
2. mix ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl. add beefless tips to the bowl, stirring to coat, and refrigerate. mix ingredients for the cornstarch slurry in a bowl and refrigerate. (all ingredients should be kept at room temperature or colder: heat will cause the cornstarch to clump.)
3. boil ¼ cup of water in a large pan, or a wok on a wok ring if you have a gas stove. blanch broccoli for about three minutes, stirring occasionally. set aside.
4. heat oil over high heat in your pan or wok until oil is smoking. add ginger and garlic and fry for about 30 seconds, until aromatic. remove garlic and ginger from the oil.
5. lower heat to medium and fry onions for a few minutes until slightly softened. add beefless tips and marinade and fry until almost done, stirring occasionally.
6. add cornstarch slurry and sesame seeds. lower heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened. add broccoli and fry for another minute until softened.